Friday, November 28, 2014

Boston Radio: Walt Perkins Gone From WBZ-AM

Walt Perkins
Walt Perkins, a familiar sports voice on news radio WBZ 1030 AM for more than a decade, is no longer working at the station.

According to The Boston Globe, was fired approximately two weeks ago for reasons that were unclear.

But Perkins, who had been at the station since 2001 and took over as the morning sports anchor in 2009 when Gil Santos retired, said Wednesday that the decision was mutual and something he had been considering for a while.

“I had been thinking about it since our clock changed and the sports role was greatly reduced,’’ wrote Perkins in response to a request for comment via Facebook.

“I was given 70-90 seconds for my sportscasts. In a market that supports two full-time sports talk stations, it was discouraging. But that is the direction the station wanted to go in.

“Luckily for me, the news anchors managed to find me another 20 or 30 seconds most times, but that often left them fighting the clock for ‘Traffic on the 3’s.’ When I heard some other opportunities might be developing in the market, I thought the time was right to make a move.”

No comments:

Post a Comment