Thursday, January 22, 2015

NY Radio: John Sterling Escapes Massive Apt. Fire

John Sterling (NY Daily News composite photo)
As seen from Manhattan
New York Yankees radio announcer John Sterling was among hundreds of residents evacuated Wednesday night after a fire swept through an apartment complex across the Hudson River from New York City.

A local state of emergency was declared after the massive blaze engulfed The Avalon at Edgewater, a four-story apartment building.

"I don't know what to expect," Sterling told the NYDaily News after finding a hotel room. "Now, I have nowhere to go. And I need a toothbrush.''

The blaze broke out around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday and raged late into the night.

Residents were able to get out safely, and there were no reports of injuries.

“I walked to the building and smelled smoke, and I went out to my floor where my apartment is, and the smoke was so bad I couldn’t see, and I thought, ‘Hey, we’d better get out of here,’” he told CBS News.

“I would expect there would be nothing left.".

Sterling said he was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support.

“The good thing is that they got everyone out — that’s a great thing,” he told Newsday. “You can always buy clothes and things. But you never think it will happen to you. I have to start from the beginning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment