Friday, March 27, 2015

Country Radio Pulling 'Girl Crush' From Playlists

Little Big Town's latest single "Girl Crush" has been at the tops of the country charts on iTunes for several weeks. However, according to a Washington Post report, the ballad is being pulled from country radio stations across the country after fans have complained the song's lyrics are inappropriate.

Indeed "Girl Crush" didn't even crack the Top 25 on Billboard's Country Airplay radio chart for the week ending March 21.

In Boise, Idaho KAWO 104.3 FM personality Alana Lynn told the paper that she was surprised when fans threatened to boycott her station saying the song "promot[es] the gay agenda."

The lyrics these fans are upset over?
I want to taste her lips, yeah 'cause they taste like you/ I want to drown myself in a bottle of her perfume/ I want her long blond hair, I want her magic touch/ Yeah 'cause maybe then, you’d want me just as much/ I got a girl crush.
According to the band, the song isn't even about a woman in love with another woman. It's about a scorned woman who is trying to understand why her man left her.


"Country music was built on songs about heartache and jealousy," Little Big Town's Phillip Sweet said of the song in an interview with Vevo.

"This woman is just looking at the woman her man left her for and wondering, 'What does she have that I don't have? What am I missing? What is it that she's giving you that I can't give you?'" the band's Kimberly Schlapman explained.

No comments:

Post a Comment