Monday, January 11, 2016

Philly Radio: Patty Jackson Returns To WDAS 106.3 FM

Patty Jackson
Having suffered the loss of her mother in October 2015, and surviving a debilitating stroke which occurred shortly thereafter, beloved WDAS 105.3 FM radio personality Patty Jackson returned to the microphone last Monday, receiving an enthusiastic welcome from listeners, fans, friends and colleagues.

“I’d like to thank everybody for their love, calls, support and prayers,” Jackson said during a recent exclusive interview with the Philadelphia Tribune.

“I am ever so grateful! I have a new lease on life. I thank God for giving me another chance. I realize the importance of taking care of yourself, especially when you’re a caregiver. You’ve got to take care of yourself, because if you don’t take care of yourself, you can’t take care of nobody else.

Jackson, now well on her way to recovery, observed that having a stroke, though unfortunate, was an eye-opening experience.

“I got to see another way of life, because I had to re-learn how to walk again and all that kind of stuff, because my right side just went out on me,” she said. “My vision is still messed up. I know my vision will return, I’ve just got to be patient, but when you’ve got to learn how to walk again, and you can’t bathe yourself, and you can’t wipe yourself, it’s very humbling.”

On her first day back to work, Jackson, who began broadcasting professionally in 1982 and was inducted into the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia in 2006, received in-studio visits from colleagues Rick Williams (6ABC) and Ukee Washington (CBS3) as well as friend and colleague Joyce Evans (Fox29). Jackson also received a personal phone call from two-time Grammy winner Patti LaBelle, and said that it felt “great” to be back at the microphone, adding, “It felt so good to return back to work! It’s what I do, and it’s what I love to do!”

WDAS 106.3 FM (16.5 Kw) Red=Local Coverage
Previously known as the hardest working woman in Philadelphia radio — taking on scores of hosting engagements and public appearances, Jackson, who is raising a young son, now acknowledges the importance of scaling back her schedule at this point in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment