Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Albany NY Radio: Rodger Wyland Departs WOFX For WTMM

Rodger Wyland
Townsquare Media had been talking with Rodger Wyland off and on for a while about the possibility of moving his long-running “Big Board Sports” talk show from FOX Sports WOFX 980 AM to WTMM 104.5 FM The Team.

On Monday, Townsquare got its man, according to The Daily Gazette.

After a 15-year run at iHeartMedia-owned WOFX, and more than two decades on the AM side of the dial, Wyland is taking his morning sportstalk show to WTMM starting July 5. The show will air from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m., one hour less than he had been on WOFX. He’s replacing the ESPN-Radio produced “Dan Le Batard Show.”

“We’re really excited about it,” said Steve Richards, operations manager for WTMM-owned Townsquare Media. “We landed Rodger. We are very happy. We’re happy we’re getting the No. 1 sports talent in the market on the No. 1 station.”

WTMM will now have two local weekday shows. The other is “Levack and Wolf,” which is on from 2-7 p.m. The station has a Saturday morning show, “Capital Region Sports Saturday.”

WTMM 104.5 FM (5 Kw) Red=Local Coverage
“I’ve actually have had talks with The Team on and off for a better part of a year,” said Wyland, the sports director at NewsChannel 13 (WNYT). “It was an offer at the end of the day that I just could not pass on. And I looked at the FM signal. A lot more people do listen to The Team. I thought it was a good opportunity for me at this point in my career to go to the local ESPN affiliate. I thought it was a good time for a change.”

But Wyland said leaving WOFX was difficult and emotional.

“Believe me, I had 15 great years there,” he said. “I respect Kristen Delaney [iHeart’s regional market president]. I have the utmost respect [for her]. We have been friends. She’s been my boss. It was not an easy decision to make. But at the end of the day, I had to make sure that my family was going to be taken care of. It was a very good offer. At this point, I couldn’t pass on it.

Tred Hulse, who does afternoon drive on iHeart’s music station 99.5 The River (WRVE-FM), hosted Monday’s sportstalk show on WOFX.

No comments:

Post a Comment