Thursday, December 28, 2017

Baltimore Radio: Talker Derek Hunter OUT At WBAL


Derek Hunter, who hosted a weekday afternoon conservative talk show on WBAL 1090 AM, is no longer with the station, according to Cary Pahigian, president and general manager. “We wish him all the best,” Pahigian wrote.

Hunter’s last day at the station was Friday, Pahigian wrote in an email response to The Baltimore Sun.

Hunter, a columnist at Townhall.com, confirmed his departure in an email.

Derek Hunter
“I was there 4 ½ years, plus a few months of "subbing" before that to see if I could do a show on a daily basis before officially starting,” Hunter said of his employment at the Baltimore station. “The Derek Hunter Show” aired 1 to 3 p.m. weekdays.

“I wasn't in radio before, and don't know if I'll do radio again in the future … I fell into radio through podcasting with friends, it wasn't a plan - just got a shot and took it. Too many people stay in radio far too long or are willing to uproot their family and their lives to stay in it. I'm a writer who did radio as a side job, I don't have plans to switch that order. I'll do fill-in work for friends and see what comes my way, but I doubt I'll actively pursue it.”

Hunter continued. “I'm a conservative, WBAL is a news station. That mix is more oil and water than chocolate and peanut butter. There are some great people who work there, but there are a lot of people who work there. I never really fit, but loved the moment from when the ‘on air’ light went on till it went off at the end of the show. The rest, I didn't care for. It didn't bother me that Democrats refused to come on the show, I didn't have guests on very often anyway. But the politicians cared, and complained about what I'd say about them. It didn't matter to me, I liked getting under their skin. But I'm not a journalist, and I didn't run the station.”

Pahigian said a replacement was yet to be determined.

13 comments:

  1. This is the best XMAS present. This show was terrible and EVERYTHING has a conservative slant to it. Now I can give WBAL another shot in the afternoon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know ANY opinion show on radio or TV that isn't biased one way or another? NPR? Decidedly Liberal. Fox TV? Conservative. CNN? Extreme liberal. Actually suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome. MSNBC? Liberal. ABC/CBS/NBC? Liberal. Syndicated Radio? (Limbaugh, Levine, Hannity) mostly Conservatives. Liberal radio, with the exception of NPR, is somewhat rare. Peter Schmuck is in Hunter's time slot. Only slightly less conservative than Hunter.

      Delete
  2. Derek Hunter didn't just read the news, he questioned the news. Something liberal loons despise when it opposes their views. He was/is one of the best radio voices in years. WBAL radio had been going down hill for years with apologetic so-called conservative talk show host. They are a joke, and now that Derek is out, so is WBAL radio. There needs to be more voices like Derek's on the radio, not less! No one is trying to change the minds of liberal minded people, but there is a need for someone who questions there reasoning to get to the truth. Sadly, in very deep blue Baltimore, that, with the exception of a few of us, was never going to happen. I am a fan!!! Get back on the airwaves soon! Press3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I am so sick of the demofascist lies and propaganda

      Delete
  3. Derek was the last reason for me to tune into 1090 WBAL. He at least was able to have a civil conversation with people who disagreed with him. That is what I want to hear. Other host who hangs up on callers who have different opinions does not help us understand both sides. We deserve to hear both sides without arguing. This is a talk show. Right? Derek was not perfect but he did try to avoid confrontation. WBAL was his employer and has the right to restrict his free speech on the job. The NFL players that WBAL defends who work for a private company is not ok for them to stop the players from kneeling while being at work. Hypocrisy is what I see in media today. I wonder how long Jimmy Mathis will be around? Can we have him back on Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was the only reason I listened to WBAL! We need more conservative voices in Baltimore not less! Liberals have ruined Baltimore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree. I have not enjoyed the afternoon show as much. I loved someone not afraid to speak their mind. I haven't found any show I've enjoyed as much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. His show was both entertaining and informing. Nobody they have put on comes close. I don't listen to WBAL much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm listening to Derek right now on WMAL...he's subbing for Larry O'Connor. I Google'd his name 'cause I heard him last week and wondered who he was... He's GREAT! Maybe he can replace the "Mornings on the Mall" duo... I don't listen to that show anymore...can't take the woman's manner/voice...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I miss his show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As it goes with all good things, they get canceled. Hunter was spot on and deserves a nationally syndicated show. He was far more concise and to the point than Carson. Shame on you BAL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big mistake, a bigger mistake is who he’s being replaced with, a twit with a awful speaking voice. I for one won’t tune in.

    ReplyDelete