Saturday, December 2, 2017

John Hockenberry Accused Of Sexual Harassment


Retired public radio host John Hockenberry was accused of sexually harassing several female co-workers, according to a published report Friday night, reports The NYPost.

Hockenberry suddenly stepped away from the NPR station in August at the age 61 — though New York Magazine didn’t say whether complaints led to his departure.

Kristin Meinzer, a producer for Hockenberry, recalled a creepy moment in 2014 when she scored him an interview with Oscar-winning actress Marion Cottillard.  Hockenberry, who uses a wheelchair, responded with unwanted kisses.

“He rolled right up to me at my desk, grabbed my face and started kissing me,” Meinzer said. “I moved my head away and pushed him away, and I said, ‘No, no, please don’t.’ ”

He responded, according to Meinzer, “I just want to kiss you because I’m so thankful.”

Kristen Meinzer
She said no: “A hug is fine, but I don’t want to be kissed.”

Another producer recalled WNYC putting crew up in a hotel ahead of a snow storm in the winter of 2010-11.

“John said, ‘Can we talk about something on the show?’ So I went to his room, which might seem stupid now but didn’t seem crazy then: We worked around the clock,” the woman said.

“He came up and put his arms on mine, and kissed me. Then he said, ‘I love you. We’ve always had this special thing.’ I pushed him away, and said ‘This cannot happen.’ I ran out of the room.”

In statement through his publicist, Hockenberry didn’t deny any of the allegations.

“Looking back, my behavior was not always appropriate and I’m sorry,” he said. “It horrifies me that I made the talented and driven people I worked with feel uncomfortable, and that the stress around putting together a great show was made worse by my behavior.”

No comments:

Post a Comment